Tuesday, December 14, 2010

2 Sweet Months

Two months ago, J and I welcomed a sweet-natured 6 pound, 2 ounce Baby E at 9:50 a.m. after six and a half hours of labor.



My water broke at 3:30 a.m. on October 11, exactly two weeks before my due date. I waited until 3:45 to wake up J because I wanted to be sure since it was more of a trickle instead of a gush. He called my parents around 4 to let them know that my Dad would be sharing his birthday with his first granddaughter! I labored at home until 5:30 before making the quick five minute drive to the hospital. I was feeling calm and relaxed and the mood at the hospital just solidified that. It was still dark out, there were no other patients in the ER waiting room, and there were almost no patients on the labor and delivery floor. I was finally checked by a nurse at 6:30 a.m. and was already 5 cm dilated. Once I was checked and comfortable, J went down to the car to get the rest of our stuff. We definitely looked like we were moving in. Birthing ball, pillows, fan, iPod stereo and numerous bags. We actually ended up using most of the stuff we brought.

I walked the labor and delivery floor, rocked on the ball, and got comfortable in our huge L&D suite. It was so freeing not to be tethered to machines or IVs. The contractions were uncomfortable, but definitely bearable.

My girlfriend A stopped by to bring J coffee at some point in the morning. While she was there, my contractions intensified. I started feeling nauseous, my body temperature was constantly fluctuating and I was shaking. All of that time spent in our natural child birth class paid off -- TRANSITION! I knew what was happening, even though it wasn't fun. When the nurse came in to check my blood pressure, J asked her to check my progress. I was 10 cm dilated and could not resist the urge to start pushing. While she was checking me, I made eye contact with J and I knew that he understood that I would seriously consider asking for something to take the edge off if I wasn't close, thank goodness we didn't have to make that decision. The nurse quickly called the delivering doctor (whom I had never met, my OB was conveniently on vacation!) and got the bed ready. I have no idea what time it was when all this was happening, but three hard pushes and Baby E was born!! What an amazing experience! I could not have done it without J! He was so strong and supportive the entire labor. I am sure that he worked just as hard as me, maybe harder. I know this labor was taxing on his body because he was willing to be anywhere and do anything to keep me comfortable and focused.
Originally, we had planned to be alone in the delivery room. Because things happened so quickly, A stayed in the room. Looking back, I wouldn't have had it any other way. It was such a blessing to have her there. J couldn't have squeezed my hand and gotten me a cold wash cloth at the same time and she generously took on those extra tasks. She even managed time to snap some fabulous pictures that I will treasure forever.



 
I would encourage every woman to consider natural child birth. I know that things don't always go as planned, but women's bodies were made for this! I felt like I could do anything after I climbed that mountain!

And now, I sit here looking at the video monitor watching Baby E sleep off a rough day of her first immunizations. There was a time in my life when I would tell anyone that asked that I maybe I didn't want to have kids, I could just be a really wonerful aunt. At this moment, I can't imagine being anywhere else. Being a parent is the hardest job I have ever had, but I learn something new about myself, Baby E and my amazing husband every day. We are conquering this new chapter together one day at a time.



Baby E, at 2 months you....
  • You weigh 9 lbs. 8 oz., which is pretty petite, only 17th percentile for weight.
  • What you lack in weight, you make up for in height. You are 21 and 3/4 inches long, almost 3 inches longer than birth.
  • You still fit in newborn size clothes, unless they have feet because you are too long.
  • You are smiling a lot. You wake up happy and you have recently started smiling in response to things. It is especially fun to see you smile in response to something your Daddy or I do.
  • You love being in your swing or on your playmat. Just recently, you have started paying attention to the mobile and toys that hang from these.
  • You are sleeping about five hours at a time at night.
  • You have been sleeping in your crib for almost two weeks.
  • You are really vocal, you always have something to say!

1 comment:

  1. Reading this blog and munching on goodies from the care package you sent me is the BEST study break ever. I am so glad I get to be a part of this family! Love, love, LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete